Travel Massive Newcastle Has Arrived!

I have always been very proud of the region I was born and grew up in. The North East of England is a place full of friendly people called the Geordies and home to beautiful countryside and coastline. We have some great urban areas with cities like Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, Durham and Sunderland and a whole lot of heritage.

Angel of the North

We have had some negative press and in recent years one ill-advised politician suggested this region was ‘desolate’ but there is a huge amount to explore and I think that people who visit the UK but skip this region are really missing out. We have many attractions here and historically we were at the centre of inventions such as the steam locomotive engine. With two World Heritage Sites, a National Park and some of the best nightlife in Europe, there really is something for everyone.

wpid-20141011_171449.jpg

When I started to travel blog and find out more about this great community of writers and photographers, I had no idea that I would be coming back home to do more in my region. At first, I had no idea what I was doing or even what to write about as a travel blogger. I have over 8 years of solo travel experiences in between work/study so there was enough material. What mattered to people? What could I tell others? Could I help promote places through my blog? It’s been a year of questions and changing direction but I’ve finally decided to have a section in my blog on North East England.

It started with my first travel conference Traverse which came to Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. I not only made a lot of fantastic contacts and learnt valuable skills in their workshops, but I also fell in love with my hometown again. I heard people new to the area talk with excitement about the places they wanted to visit, the things they would do, and the food they would eat. I heard of brand new places and plans for more development and my home suddenly became a place to explore once again!

An unexpected meeting with Erika from Travel Massive in Athens a few months later saw the beginning of a Travel Massive chapter in Newcastle being created. After months of talks and emails, I set up the first event. It wasn’t an easy process and a lot of venues and people took time to warm to the idea. The three rules for Travel Massive events are that they must be free, open to everyone in travel writing, blogging and local businesses, and they should connect people and promote globally. The new manifesto talks of the vision Travel Massive has for the future.

The venue that agreed to our launch event was Popolo City Bar on Newcastle Quayside. It is a great location and a very relaxed atmosphere with some great drinks on the menu. Perfect spot for people to meet up for our first event.

Popolo City Bar Newcastle

It was a small group but with great diversity including PRs, a fellow blogger, business owner, tour guides and English Heritage. Everyone was lovely and passionate about the North East. It was brilliant to get a group of people together who share the same love of this place and love of travel.

Travel Massive launch3

Alex who runs Iles Tours in Newcastle city centre, had read almost every history book on the area while setting up his business and it was fascinating to learn more. I need to go on one of his tours! Chloe, a fellow blogger, has an incredible regional blog called Prosecco and Pie and has written her review of our launch event too.

Travel Massive launch2

Travel Massive launch4

Emily from English Heritage told us about the exciting plans for Hadrian’s Wall and other sites. We were even lucky enough to get VIP passes to all of the sites in the North East! Such a great gift. I was so pleased to get to talk to all of the people who attended and I can’t wait to grow and develop our chapter.

Have you been to a Travel Massive event? Would you like to come to our next event in April?

37 Comments

• betsywuebker says:

I’ve never been to a Travel Massive event, but it sounds like a great way to get your region more prominent emphasis on the map! 🙂

• Surprisingly I have heard some positive feedback about Newcastle! It’s great you have the event beginning. Good luck!

• Well done on creating another Travel Massive event. I live in China so it’s not very likely to happen here but i’m glad to see people gathering and talking about their love of a place – actually Newcastle is probably one of my favourite places in the UK. Such a cool and friendly city!

• Jenna says:

Sounds like the event went great! I love Travel Massive–wish there was one close to where I live! Glad you are exploring your home area more, too. People always seem to forget about all the fun things in their hometown!

• Travel Massive sounds like a great idea. Glad that your event was successful.

• Alli Blair says:

I wish I could attend something like this! Sounds like it is a super useful and fun event for mingling travelers alike 😉

• Dave Briggs says:

I love Newcastle, and hopefully events like the Travel Massive meeting will help promote tourism in the area. It really is a still to be discovered city and region for most people living in the UK, let alone visiting!

• Aileen says:

Great photos! It really makes me want to visit England soon. And Travel Massive sounds like a great affair!

• Bailey K. says:

Congrats on the event! As an aside – I tend to really enjoy “desolate” places – if by desolate, he meant not very many people. 🙂

• nonstopdestination says:

I’ve never been to a Travel Massive event, but would love to attend one. Newcastle is a little too far, but I saw they have events in London as well, so I’ll have to look into that.

• Beth says:

I’ve always wanted to attend a Travel Massive event. Hoping to finally do so in May!

• Mia says:

That sounds amazing! I am the chapter leader for Manchester and our next event is on the 26th. It’s our fourth so, like you, we’re trying to grow. Good luck with your next one and maybe we’ll have a catch up somewhere neutral like the Midlands 🙂

• I did one in Seattle. It was pretty fun! I got to meet a few other bloggers, and some very interesting startups. I’m glad you had fun 🙂

• Yay! Awesome to hear about a new Travel Massive chapter. I love attending the LA Travel Massive events, I always meet someone new and totally awesome.

• What an awesome event to be a part of! I’ve never heard of Travel Massive, but my goal within the next year is to connect with other travelers/bloggers in some kind of a meet-up.

• I’ve actually never even heard of Travel Massive, but after looking at their website a bit, it seems like a really awesome program/thing!! I love how it’s a big, global idea and yet your meetings are small enough that you can really get to know others and exchange ideas and info on your hometown and region! How often will you all meet up?

• We really wanted to attend the event in Manchester last year and were disappointed to have to miss it due to me having an operation on my knee! Maybe next time! Looks like a great event and a wonderful chance to meet with likeminded people in your area, it would have been nice to see all the other bloggers from Manchester!

• SLioy says:

Well done! It’s people with passion like this that actually lead change and push positive development in a place. Good on you for being the impetus for creating something in Newcastle!

• vickyinglis says:

I know Newcastle pretty well, and love visiting the area. I’m going to be visiting at the start of the summer, so if there’s a meet going on, I’ll certainly drop in by.

• I have never been to a Travel Massive event, but I love the concept and idea! And I also love areas that are not popular tourist attractions. Usually that means you get the feel for the actual place and you can find your own little piece of paradise! 🙂

• This sounds incredible! I will be going to my own first Travel Massive event in Toronto and am both nervous and excited!

• heather843 says:

Would love to find out more about Travel Massive! Great that you featured the North East in this post, lived in Durham for 3 years as a student and easily fell in love with the place (we even got married there some years later).

• Laura says:

I’m from England too – but the South, you’re probably going to hate me for saying it but we LOVE Geordie Shore, I’m sure it’s really inaccurate and so but it’s great 😀

• It’s great that to hear that you set up a Travel Massive and that your first event went well. It is also great you are doing it back at your home as sometimes we want to travel to far away lands that we forget that we have beautiful scenery and things to do on our own doorsteps!

• I have been wanting to visit Newcastle .. especially the Angel of the North 🙂

• Sean says:

These kind of meetups are great for networking and information sharing, and no one ever realizes how much time and effort they take to set up. Nice job!

• Elena says:

Never been to the North of England but would love to go! And well done on organizing the event!

• Adventurous Journeys says:

I have never been to TRavel Massive Event, but I would LOVE to attend in the future, unforutnaltely not this April. Thank you for all the infos!

• Megsy says:

Awesome photos too. Newcastle looks fantastic!

• Gosh, you guys are so lucky. How I wish we had events like these here.

• Sumit Surai says:

I love blogging or travel events. Though have never attended a dedicated travel event, I meet few other travel bloggers from our city, Calcutta, regularly and we go for walks to know more about our city and promote that through our blogs. All the best to the Travel Massive Newcastle chapter.

• Yay! It looks like you had a wonderful time. Welcome to the Travel Massive family! (I’m Leader of the Portland, Oregon chapter.) Many wishes for success!

• Monique says:

The Popolo City Bar looks very interesting with that reddish atmosphere.
    I bet I can meet many good people there.

• As a co-host of Travel Massive in San Diego, I wish you so much success and fun. It’s a great network to be part of and your city is lucky to have your efforts.

• Lexi says:

When I heard Newscastle I thought you were talking about the newscastle in Australia! I haven’t been to a travel massive event yet, I’m not sure if they have these in my town but I’ll have to have a look. Sounds like fun.

• Natali Lekka says:

Hello Kate, I have just joined Travel Massive Newcastle and just found your blog too. I look forward to the next Travel Massive event in Newcastle.

Comments are closed.