What is #PTTravel?

#PTTravel

#PTTravel is a hashtag that has been used on social media for a while now and I am asked almost daily what it means and why its important, so I decided to write a quick post.

What is this strange internet jargon?

Its a revelation. Its going to change the world and your life. It might end up in a dictionary or even translated into languages around the world. Ok, maybe I exaggerate slightly. It is a bit of a movement with some bloggers and certainly a new perspective on travel.

What does it mean?

It stands for part-time travel. It is used by bloggers, travellers and actually anyone who has full-time responsibilities (work, study, family or another reason) but wants to make travel a regular part of their life when they can.

Could Caye Caulker be your next #PTTravel destination?

Could Caye Caulker be your next #PTTravel destination?

How do I convert to a life of #PTTravel?

DON’T give up your day job, sell your house and take off on the road. Stay at home, do all of the things you have to do BUT save money and make time to go off to parts of the world you want to explore when you can.

Its amazing how many people I talk to that want to travel but don’t know how to make it part of their lives. There are so many options and tips to making a small amount of time or money stretch a long way. Weekends in neighbouring cities to maximizing annual leave or school breaks to go long haul; we have the knowledge and experience to show you how.

Where are these #PTTravel revolutionists?

We’re everywhere! Find us and connect with us on social media channels such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Just search the hashtag. There are also great blogs to follow to find out how to become a part-time traveller. I may come back to this and make a list of the best! Stay tuned

I host a #PTTravel chat each Sunday at 6pm GMT/1pm ET and there is a different topic per week. It runs for an hour & there are 6 questions. Feel free to join us or favourite links and tips to go back to later. Everyone is welcome and we want to spread the word.

What are you waiting for?

Time waits for no man and the world is out there, so start planning the next trip! Someday is no longer good enough. Get on social media and find some #PTTravel inspiration and advice. We can’t wait for you to join us!

Screenshot of #PTTravel search on Twitter

Screenshot of #PTTravel search on Twitter

26 Comments

• Patty Gale says:

Great post, Kate! Thank you for putting this out there and explaining this.

• Kate says:

No problem. It’s such a fantastic community with a lot of great information and advice. My pleasure to share.

• Nice post! it’s funny, but I really never thought of #PTTravel as a “thing”, I just thought I was weird.

I try to do one or two international trips a year and most of the people I know (like coworkers) think this is at best, unusual, at worst, insane. And having a blog which focuses on this puts people like us in a strange limbo in the travel blogging world; we’re not full time travel bloggers, we’re not retired, we just like to travel and we make it a priority over other things. In fact, I started my blog waaaay back in 1998 for a year long RTW trip and just have kept it up with shorter trips ever since.

I’m going to try to remember to use the #PTTravel hashtag on my next trip, coming up in less than 2 weeks (2 weeks in Italy!).

• TheBohoChica says:

I’m a fan of Part Time Travel, that’s my travel style and I feel it’s perfect for those who have roots which isn’t a bad or unfortunate thing as is sometimes implied. Looking forward to joining the Twitter chat.

• Love this! There must be far more part time travellers in the world than those who travel full time. Put the word out!

• aniontheroad says:

Great explanation, Kate! Either part time or full time, travel is what matters 🙂

• heather843 says:

From one PTTraveller to another, this is such a great idea and concept, and good to know there are so many other like-minded people out there. It’s not all about those who jack in their city jobs and go to find themselves by becoming nomads!

• Our family lives a weird mix of full time and part time travel. As expats we are in this strange limbo of being “on vacation” all the time but not really. My husband has to see lots of hotels and we come along with the kiddos so really we travel all the time. It keeps us on our toes and is definitely a kind of lifestyle that suits some people and not others.

• I’m a part time traveller and have been in the PTTravel group since it began and love getting to interact with so many other travels who travel in a similar style to me, Part-Time. Its great that your spreading the word!

• Will Bowie - Deep Travel says:

Well done on #PTT – you have to keep travelling no matter what!

• Claudia says:

I wonder if I can consider myself a PPT then. I travel (full time) for several months each year, then I go home and stop travelling for the rest of the year.

• Kate says:

I’d say yes if you have a base and make travel a priority in your life. Do you work around the world or just when you’re home?

• Great! I’m a #PTT but didn’t know the hashtag. I’ll try and get more involved – so pleased you are doing this

• LOL, good to see some recognition that travel is for everyone, not just those who want to and are able to do it full time. We’ve always travelled ‘part time’ to me it’s all just travel, you can see heck of a lot that way and still have all the other things you want in life.

• Hi Kate, I’m a part-time traveller too! 🙂 I didn’t know about the hashtag and the chat, I’m planning to join you tomorrow on twitter! 😉

• Hehe, I can totally relate!!! I try my best to travel any chance I get, whether it’s a day-trip to a town close by or a longer vacation to exotic places. I think it’s all about priorities, and not wasting money on less important stuff 🙂
    Happy travels! Valeria

• The Roaming Renegades.com says:

That’s great, thanks for sharing. At the moment we are part time travellers and although we are working our way towards full time travel we really respect those who make the most out of their time and travel part time. I think it’s probably harder that way too!

• Looking forward to seeing all of you on the next #PTTravel chat!
    I was surprised to learn how many people are full time travel bloggers – i have a career that I love, but travel is immensely important to me!

Visit50.com was born based on this drive to travel as an important part of my life, even with a career, and hopefully inspire my readers along the way!

• eastwestlovestory says:

I just saw this hashtag and twitter chat on twitter, alas an hour too late, and googled. I feel like I’ve found my people. Hope to join the twitter chat next week.

• I’m a PTTraveller and had no idea about this hashtag! Thanks for sharing. I’ve tweeted this post too 🙂 Looking forward to joining some of your twitter chats.

• sydneyexpert says:

We travel overseas for at least a month every year and save hard inbetween to make it happen. I had seen the #ppt hashtag but never year thought about using it till now. 🙂

• First time I’ve heard of #PTT, but it definitely fits me due to home obligations. I can only do a longer trip a few times a year, even though I do primarily write about travel. It’s on my mind full-time, but only on my calendar part-time. Cheers!